Advanced Android Development – Concepts
This is the concepts reference for the Advanced Android Development course, a training course created by the Google Developer Training team. This course builds on the skills you learned in the Android Developer Fundamentals course.
This course is intended to be taught in a classroom, but all the materials are available online, so if you like to learn by yourself, go ahead!
The Advanced Android Development course is intended for experienced developers who have Java programming experience and know the fundamentals of how to build an Android app using the Java language. This course assumes you have mastered the topics in Units 1 to 4 of the Android Developer Fundamentals course.
Specifically, this course assumes you know how to:
- Install and use Android Studio.
- Run apps from Android Studio on both a device and an emulator.
- Create and use
Viewinstances to create your app's user interface
- Enable interaction through click handlers.
- Create layouts using the Android Studio layout editor.
- Create and use
- Run tasks in the background.
- Save data in Android shared preferences.
- Save data in a local SQL database.
The course materials include:
- This concept reference.
- A practical workbook, Advanced Android Development – Practicals, which guides you through creating Android apps to practice and perfect the skills you're learning.
- Slide decks for optional use by instructors.
- Code in GitHub.
What topics are covered?
Unit 1: Expand the User Experience
Lesson 1: Fragments
Lesson 2: App Widgets
Lesson 3: Sensors
Unit 2: Make Your Apps Fast and Small
Lesson 4: Performance
Unit 3: Make Your Apps Accessible
Lesson 5: Localization
Lesson 6: Accessibility
Unit 4: Add Geo Features to Your Apps
Lesson 7: Location
Lesson 8: Places
Lesson 9: Mapping
Unit 5: Advanced Graphics and Views
Lesson 10: Custom Views
Lesson 11: Canvas
Lesson 12: Animations
Developed by the Google Developer Training Team
Last updated: October 2017
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License